Saturday, January 14, 2012

Alexander Spit - These Long Strange Nights Review


Hi Guys! Carl here reviewing a new mixtape that just dropped.

San Francisco born rapper Alexander Spit's new mixtape (~45 min.) is filled with smooth, clever rhymes that glide effortlessly over silky, suggestive, jazzy, dark, complex beats. A lot of these songs made my ears feel like they were having an expensive spa treatment. I really, really enjoyed the first three tracks for this reason. They really had a unique, unusual sound unlike anything I had ever heard. However tracks 4 and 5 were a disappointing mess. They were very cluttered sounding and reminded me of a two year old banging on pots and pans pretending to be a drummer. Luckily, the album made a quick turnaround with the track Six Days Remix, which had a very eerie sample that reminded me of 1970's psychedelic rock mixed with Beach Boys, blended together seamlessly to resemble something you would hear on an album like Plastic Beach. After that track, it was just one song after another of one of the best hip-hop mixtapes I have ever listened to . I do however wish that Spit had used the phenomenal beat at the beginning of Shawn Kemp throughout the whole track. All that aside, this is truly a magical mixtape. I would try to pick out my favorite tracks but I'm too impressed with the mixtape as a whole to even try. Just go listen to the whole damn thing. This mixtape gives me hope that there's still real hip-hop out there. It tells me that change IS good.

8.5/10

No comments:

Post a Comment