Friday, January 13, 2012

The Act of Estimating as Worthless Album Review

To start out the band i'm reviewing today is a folk band from New York, with a band name that's as beautiful as the music sounds. The Act of Estimating as Worthless has just released there debut album, Amongst These Splintered Minds/ Leaden Thoughts Sing Softly. This album is just under the 40 minute mark and for those nearly 40 minutes I am happy to say that I was sucked into the world of this album. This is a folk album that takes great success in using simple vocals and instrumentals. My favorite part of this album for me was the instrumentals. The guitars set the mood for each of these love inspired songs and the Neutral Milk Hotel sounding trumpets and the beautiful violins pulled everything together as far as the sound of this album. When I first dove into this album the one thing that bothered me was the Moldy Peaches style vocals. After a few more listens through the album the sometimes off pitch harmony grew to be just yet another thing I liked about this album. Through the voices of Zoe Grant and Matthew Van Asselt come out beautiful love lyrics that in some points on this LP can get quite creepy. I would recommend this to most everybody, especially if you're in love with such bands as The Moldy Peaches, Neutral Milk Hotel or The Microphones. I'm really excited that something this good could come out this early this year and I'm excited for whatever this band decides to do next. I'm going to give this a 9/10 as the first Freshly Squeezed music (that will be the Random Squeeze's favorites) of this year and ever.

check their bandcamp to see if you liked it as much as I did: http://theactofestimatingasworthless.bandcamp.com/

-Evan

No comments:

Post a Comment